Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hiking through End Time

I speak to those of us moving through final stages. This random series sheds light--and heart--on End Time, or End Life, our last great challenge, and our last opportunity to shine.

Along the way I will have much to say about the effective beauties of Hospice.  My readers are those already on the Hospice path, those weighing the option, and the often poorly informed relatives and caregivers who need to know what Hospice
is all about. How can their arduous and often lonely tasks be eased and supported by the Hospice Way, the way of loving, palliative care?

I am interested in two questions: First, how, without “curative” support,  can we continue to resist the cannibalism that consumes our bodies? What can we do to strengthen and encourage ourselves? What tools can help us along?

Second, how do we most effectively, even joyously, make use of these few extra weeks or months? The The first question deals with rest, exercise, palliative medications, appetite, oxygen, etc. This question is secondary because it deals with means rather than end.
 
Whether we have a few uncertain weeks left, or a year or more, the important, the all-important question is, How do we live our lives? In the present? In the Now? Where do we turn for richness, humor, value? How do we continue to find Quality in our own hearts, in those who surround us, in flowers, music and light? How can we know joy?
 
Blog entries will most often include poetry, teachings, heart based tales, relevant memories from my own eight year struggle with two fatal cancers, and ways to delight the senses. Two relevant mantras: As in all aspects of our passage through life, “Make the most of it!”  And, with as much awe and gratitude and affirmation as we can muster, “Viva la Vida!”
 
Enough for an introduction. I’ll end today with a poem I wrote almost eight years ago, shortly after being diagnosed with multiple myeloma. May these words touch your heart.
 
A LONG WALK IN THE FIELD AFTER BAD NEWS
 
Slow down, old friend. Come home.
Listen to the trilling meadowlarks.
Celebrate the magic song of life
Shining in this field at late light.
 
Succumb to the mood of the pale moon,
Who casts her spell upon the tides,
Bewitching every creature of the sea.
 
Inhale the pinon-scented breeze of dawn,
When dew sits like hand-strewn pearls
Upon the fading light of autumn leaves.
 
Relax, my friend.  In all these wonders
And a thousand more, life still sings.

Leonard Bird

11 comments:

  1. Dear Leonard, thank you, thank you, thank you for reminding me to BE while I was struggling to HAVE.
    I love your blog.

    Audrei Moron
    Sao Paulo, Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Red;
    I'm a FB friend of Ian Lawton's, that's how I found my way to your blog. I'm subscribing and look forward to whatever you offer, the poem you shared gave me goosebumps. My parents helped open the Rosedale Hospice in Calgary Alberta, so I have some experience of the journey, on the side of those who support. Blessings on you, may you feel each day the strength and joy of Spirit in you. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling this is going to be my new favorite blog. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your deep wisdom and beautiul expression Red. You are a wonderful teacher and I am glad to be your student. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, from Australia, Red, for your wise, thoughtful and hopeful expressions about the journey we all must share, but always resist. The beauty of your soul is already shining and Bill and I are bumble recipients of that Light. I join Meg. Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for opening your good, strong heart. I will have your words circling about in my brain today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Red,
    I so appreciate you, your life and wisdom. These words from your heart and hand are a treasure to hold close, always.
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dearest husband, my Red Bird,
    You continue to inspire and amaze me!
    With all my love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oddly enough, I read your blog today as my children and I were emailing one another about how to live in the moment and make the most of it when the moment is not a pleasant one. You are an inspiration to us, once again. Chuck and I send our love and prayers. Jean Yeager

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red, that poem was already a favorite of mine, and it once again touches my heart and soul. Thank you for sharing your journey. I'm still hoping you live to see "folding paper cranes - an atomic memoir" become a bestseller and create millions of human paper cranes for the healing of humanity and the earth!!!! I'm also looking forward to your next book. Much love and gratitude for your courage, strength and willingness to be open at a time when many shut down. THANK YOU!! Karla Lenker, Muskegon MI

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red, cancer has its gifts. Time, awareness, leaving nothing unsaid and taking care of our affairs so that passing is made easier on our loved ones. Your journal will be a great comfort to those of us who admire you and appreciate your presence of spirit. My husband passed a year ago and he would have so enjoyed reading this. Thank you for using your precious strength to continue to give.

    ReplyDelete